Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Maybe it's the Motor?

There are some days when nothing really works out perfectly. Usually those days are all bad. My day wasn't all bad, in fact, it wasn't even bad at all, really. I woke up late(ish) and then had breakfast with Phoebe and Skylor- we hung out until 2:30 and then I created, in feverish OCD style, the next hour and a half until I had to leave for work. Did a little splashing around, and cleaned up a bit. It was really nice, until I realized 15 minutes down the road that I had forgot my uniform for work (AKA my lovely blue vest). Great, of course that makes my perfectly timed out plan utterly useless... not to mention makes me late to work.

At least Yesterday was wonderful- we're talking get out of work early, cookout kind of a day. The gang came over for dinner and we just grilled up some burgers and chicken and really relaxed. I have an absolutely amazing group of friends; we were all just sitting around the table and I had one of those moments. Those "everything is just perfect, and my life is amazing" moments. You know how we live most of our lives on a permanent fast forward- and we're always thinking about what we have to do tomorrow, or next month? It was one of those times that you feel like you're just on play. You can feel every breath. So I don't have every detail of my life figured out? Just for a while, I felt like I didn't have to- I guess you could call it "living in the moment".
It's funny how we always want life to be like the movies. I think that's really because, yes, everything works out in the end of movies, but the characters in them go through so many uncomfortable situations in the middle that it's not as different as we think. I think a big part of it is the perspective-- You squirm right with the characters in a good movie, but the time and scope is different. What may take place over a month, a year, a week, is only taking you 182 minutes. It's easier to get to the happy ending in a movie. But would we really want to get to the end? I'm pretty sure that goes right back to the whole 'living in the moment' thing...
I guess some of these thoughts came from the fact that I just watched Serendipity, and it made me start thinking about fate and all of that- the frustrating part is that for all these different reasons they never can get together until the end, all these things they miss and places where they almost meet. At what point do you trust in fate? At what moment do you know it's going to work out? We, as an audience, know they will get together in the end- but the characters themselves don't know that. So are we all essentially in our own little movies? Just a quarter of the way through? ...A lot of questions for one night. A lot of hefty ones.

I have a feeling I would be pretty bad at the whole trusting in fate thing. Letting go is a lot harder for some people than others... For me? Not so easy. Maybe Fate can give me a swift kick in the shins or something.

2 comments:

Bleighton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bleighton said...

I loved that day when we sat next to the pool for hours sipping on some smirnoffs (remember when we use to start feeling good after two of them?).

That was such a fun day. I love summer. I especially love summer at your house next to your pool - no matter how cold I am and usually don't even jump in. Haha!

Love you! :):)