Monday, July 21, 2008

I'm not Hispanic.

I'm not. Even though some days I would absolutely love to be. Ever since our last Zumba class I've been on a Latin kick like no other. It's so bad that I've been listening to Zumba music in my car, and a lot of Reggaeton. I sing in Spanish, and I don't even know what I'm singing. I think it's the rhythm of it all- the color that's even in the music. Sure, some of it gets monotonous- but like any music culture, there are songs you love- and songs you hate. I'm in love with 75% of it.
I've considered taking a latin lover... Kind of a Ricky Martin, Daddy Yankee, and Antonio Banderas guy. Maybe this will help? ¡Sí! ¡Muy Caliente!

I guess some of it is the dancing- I've been in a dancing mood too. "Step Up 2: The Streets" came out on DVD on tuesday- and yes, I now own it. I don't know exactly what it is about cheesy movies in which dancing solves all problems, cultural divides, and troubled life paths- but they just make me feel fluffy inside... not to mention start my own dance crew. I actually liked "The Streets" better than the first Step Up movie. It's different in that, for once it's not all about getting in to the prestigious school and securing a better life for the troubled lead character- it's about the culture of underground dance- plain and simple. The movie is probably widely criticized for having no noble driving lesson or message behind it- it's honestly about overcoming first impressions and celebrating an underrated and largely unrecognized culture of underground choreographed dance. So, that sounds fancy, I know. But it's an awesome movie with a decent soundtrack- and best of all it accomplishes what should be the main goal: It makes you want to move. Muévete!
I love Movies. Any movies. I love cheesy movies, artsy movies, movies that make you think, dramatic movies, weird movies. The only ones I don't like are horrifically bloody and violent movies. I think that critics are given entirely too much credit- gone are the days when people appreciated a movie that can take you away from reality- if just for a little bit. All movies have their purposes, and a movie that does its job is, in my opinion, a good movie. To put it simply: We've all gotten too "artsy fartsy" for our own good. Let it go.
I guess what I'm really doing is defending the movies that I love- the ones that some would say are generic, have no point, or are just "lame". I guess in a way, I'm defending my intelligence because I really enjoy said movies.

Today, a customer told me that I had beautiful hair, then proceeded to ask me if it was thick in the summer... The other day, a woman told me I was "too nice to work here" and that I should work for Harris Teeter; is it really that friendly and nice there? Yesterday, a lady told me I looked like Miley Cyrus. Last week, I had a conversation with a woman who informed me that she buys organic milk so that her daughter won't get her period at the age of 6. This job is so much fun.
I guess I should start drinking organic milk- I mean, if the regular stuff can honestly speed up the development of children, I'm probably some kind of mutant by now. ¡Ay, Dios Mio!

No comments: