Sunday, August 3, 2008

Again with the Pirates...


I want some heelys.
They are probably the singularly most amazing fad to sweep children ages 14 and younger.
Lately every other kid at work has been gliding around in these ingenious inventions.
I wonder how long it would be before I broke something- either myself or any object within close proximity.
What I do know is that the fact that I seriously want to own and wear a pair of these, means I officially still have one leg very firmly planted in the land of childhood. Or immaturity. The question is, is this OK? I mean, we're talking regular occurrences. Is it OK to want to have built in rollerblades so that I can roll around at will?
Secret Admission: At work, when I close- I take a quick jog and then hop on the back of the carts, riding them all the way down the aisle.
So we can draw the conclusion that I am basically still ridiculous in some aspects, such as movement and impulse. What about the other stuff? the stuff that matters?
I guess there is no definite answer for that. I'm sure that I still have a lot of growing up to do, and in a lot of aspects of life, but the most I can hope for, I suppose, is that I don't hurt too many people along the way. An unfortunate side effect of immaturity, hurting others most often occurs when we think just of ourselves. And usually, being selfish goes hand in hand with being immature.

The Daily Oddity
for Today:

Child Pretending to be a Pirate: (in child-like piercing shriek) I'm a pirate!!
Me: Really? That's a pretty cool eye patch and telescope... Helping Mommy find treasure?
CPTBP: I love Treasure!! I'm finding it!!
Me: Where's your map? All Pirates have Treasure maps...
CPTBP: I'm a Pirate! (waves Telescope) Are you Pirates?
Me: I'm not. (hands CPTBP the receipt) But I can give you this treasure map- hold on tight to it!
CPTBP: (Clutching Receipt)MOM! Treasure Map! Find the Treasure!
Mother: (Leaving) The Lady at the Door needs the receipt, honey.
CPTBP: No! It's my map!
Me: ...whoops. Ahoy!

The other day and older gentleman looked at me and said softly, "You have gorgeous eyes." He had been quite the whole time he and his wife were checking out, and she just smiled at me, and they left. He had no reason to say that- but he did. And that made the rest of my day better. I guess when you get old enough to get over being embarrassed you find it easier to say what you're thinking. I wish I could have told him just how much that his compliment meant to me.
Or at least had a second to say a decent "Thank You."

I guess he has matured far enough past the selfish, immature point. I wonder if he'd like heelys...


No comments: