Sunday, July 27, 2008

To Nottingham- Full Steam Ahead!

I've just spent a good hour of my life watching a BBC America show and being completely entertained. And staring at my latest future husband.
Meet Jonas Armstrong; A.K.A. Robing Hood.I don't know what it is about him- maybe it's his kick arse bow skills, tortured soul, sense of justice, dedication to his love, adorable eyes, or the scruffy facial hair that gets me every time.
I mean, we all know Robin is our protagonist extraordinaire, and dashing storybook hero- but this guy makes Cary Elwes (of Robin Hood: Men in Tights, The Princess Bride) look like Robin Williams. Not that I don't love Mr. Elwes, and other Robin Hoods before him, but there actually is dimension to Armstrong's version that hasn't been present before. A rough edge- the problem side. The sort of Jesus Christ Superstar version where our perfect Hero is a little bit flawed (there's where 'tortured' comes in). I mean, it's tough to mess with a character so universally good and loved, if the audience doesn't receive this new dimension well- you're screwed and lose credibility (or money).
Note: this show may start out with your traditional Robin Hood story, but we're told that it is going to end a lot differently- the series finale is coming up next week, and *gasp* a main character will die. I'm crossing my fingers, because if Robin dies, I'll have lost faith in every single TV show that I've ever loved excepting Eli Stone (Which did not let me down- unless ABC doesn't bring it back- in which case scratch the whole exception thing).
In other new addictions, I've added Cobra Starship to my car CD collection. Since my car doesn't have an ipod hook-up, I keep a rotating collection of CDs stocked. Mixes are my specialty, but every once in a while an actual CD will creep into the mélange and become semi-permanent for a while. Past Albums have included Cartel [Chroma], The Mile After [The Five Things I Ever Did Wrong, Armada], The City Drive [Always Moving Never Stopping], Forever The Sickest Kids [Underdog Alma Mater], Mae [The Everglow, Destination: Beautiful], and Jason Mraz [Mr.A-Z, Waiting For My Rocket To Come]. Right Now There are three Records in there: ¡Viva la Cobra!, While the City Sleeps- We Rule the Streets, and Armada (Two out of three belong to Cobra Starship...) They make me feel O.K. about dancing like a drunk white girl... Oh, Wait.

It's a good thing I like to cook. A lot. Because I'll be doing it for the rest of the week- usually the summer is the time when my family makes fabulous food which I then eat. Unfortunately for me (and fortunately for them) my parents ran off to Italy. So that leaves me at home, cooking and more than a little jealous. But, hey, they do deserve it. Someday I can drink my way through Tuscany. And come home to a liver transplant, eh?

While the 'Rents are away, the kids will play...
This was to be the philosophy for this week. I guess it makes me realize how boring I really am! I've read two books, cooked a lot of grilled cheese sandwiches, worked a helluva lot, and thrown zero crazy house parties. And my sister has been almost totally absent so far. Cool. I hope the rest of my life consists of a little more than BBC America at night (No offense to the Future Hubby, of course!)
I guess I can deal with it- considering the whole of my life is supposed to be spent working. I hate that, though. It doesn't have to be that way- I plan on loving my job (or at least mildly enjoying it) traveling a lot, and call me naive, loving my life. I mean, even the little things that make you laugh aloud even though you've been standing at a register for four hours dealing with people who hate your guts because you cant scan their $264.25 worth of crap in .78 seconds. Because those moments are present in everything. That's what keeps me going, as I remind myself that I did this instead of my internship because I needed to spend more time with my family while I still can. ...The family that is either in Italy or at their boyfriend's house.
It's just a week, right?
To make this go better, I'm installing a feature: The Daily Oddity. Some days there are many to choose from- but each post will include an example of a weird dialogue between me and said offbeat member. Today's Oddity is probably the Least odd of the whole week (figures, right on the day I start it), and was almost alarming, because it was the weirdest thing that happened to me today. That may be because everyone else was abnormally unfriendly and grouchy- ugh, Saturday in retail...

The Daily Oddity for today:

Customer # 67: (while writing check and balancing child on hip) how old are you, anyways?
Me: I'm 20.
Customer # 67: No Way! You are not that old!
Me: I am.
Customer # 67: But you look...
Me: 15?
Customer # 67: Yes! I mean there is no way I would have thought you were legal!!
Me: (awkward laughter) Thanks, it'll come in handy when I'm 50.
Customer # 67: Oh, Absolutely Honey! You just keep that up-lookin' young's not a sin!

Well, other than the fact that I'm pretty sure I was never worried that I was sinning- I felt that sinking feeling that, even though I appreciate "looking young", I will probably be carded until I turn 36, by which time my opinion will have completely reversed and that phenomenon that happens about halfway to thirty will occur- and I will begin to deny that I ever got that old in the first place... Aging is so predictable.

I suddenly feel the need to do cliché acts common among young people...
Oo. Party at my house! We're going to dance like the drunken white girls we are and watch BBC America Marathons!
Oh, and BYOB... because I'm still too young to buy it, and I forgot my I.D.




No comments: