Thursday, February 12, 2009

Join The Mother(effing)Party!

I'm a superstar.

Or maybe just famous?

Ok. Local Celebrity.

...Right. I sometimes get recognized.
Mostly via drunk girls at parties ("Oh. My. God. You teach Zumba at the gym! This is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo weird that you're here." ...yea, it's not that weird.)

You're looking at (or reading...at?) your friendly neighborhood Zumba instructor. I love my job. Even if it's my second job. What? Teaching Latin cardio fitness classes doesn't exactly pay the rent. Hence, another job that actually pays for my tuition.
So clearly that's not why I do it. Why do I do it exactly (besides essentially mandatory workouts twice a week)? Because of classes like the one I had Wednesday.

Wednesday I subbed a class for the only other instructor in Blacksburg. It was a class at the local Y, not my usual stomping grounds. I teach on Campus as a VT fitness instructor. So just because it's a different (much more age diverse) crowd, I was a little nervous. Would my playlist be appropriate? Would they get my (admissibly lame) jokes?
I was so hyped up that I got there 30 minutes early and sat in the dance room listening to the music. That was when I remembered why I love Zumba so much. It's not about looking hot, it's about feeling that way. And it's my job to make everyone comfortable and loose enough to do that. Every single person has the right to feel awesome about themselves, every woman has the right to feel hot- no matter their size or age. I'm so used to teaching beautiful, vibrant 20-somethings, that I forgot how much fun it is to get down with a group of completely different people.
I love my job.


I had planned on posting pictures of my finished (and architecturally striking, of course) lamp tonight. But the camera was MIA in the wee hours of the morning when I had to go set it up. AKA, I woke up at 8:30 and had to pin-up at 9, which means the camera was sitting on the entertainment center and I just forgot it.
So pictures of my (completed. Yes, completed. Let it be known that I am not useless and completely unmotivated) architectural masterpiece of a lamp will be up tomorrow sometime.
Get excited.

2 comments:

Andhari said...

I always wanna do a latin cardio :)

Bleighton said...

I am so excited to finally be teaching a class again. I don't know why I didn't do some research about anyone else teaching it here. It's a great little studio!

I hope the girls like me. There's a mix of ages, so that's pretty cool. They said I was intense, which I already knew, but I hope they had fun. They looked like they did. Actually, the mirrors/room got extremely fogged up. Rachel, the other instructor was like, "Shergold history! The first time we've fogged up the glass." I kind of wanted to attribute that to me because she just has them jump up and smile the whole time. I mean, I love when they smile, too but I want to work their hearts and bodies!!! So, when I did my three songs - there was so major sweat and heat, hence the fogginess. :-P Or maybe it was me alone because I was going HARDCORE! Haha.

I miss teaching with you. :(:( We have the best energy together!! When we're older and live next to each other and work in the same city, we should either a. open our own fitness place or b. find a great gym to teach Zumba in. We could do classes by ourselves and then once a week do one together. Sound good? I'm excited already!!!!!! :-D


loveyou!