Monday, April 14, 2008

Tires and Wigs

My mother has cancer. We found this out in January; stage four, breast cancer. It's in her bones.


My mother is an incredibly strong woman, which is probably why we didn't know that she had cancer, let alone at such an advanced stage. For the past months, she's been on two different new treatments, with varying success. Last night, she told me that she starts chemo on Friday.


Today was hard. I had to present my project today in studio; talk about the components of my design and convince my professors that my concept of wandering through a memory makes a good plan for a spa, when all I can think of is that the next time I see my mom, she'll be wearing a wig.

It's just so real now.

I'm not going to say that my mother is my best friend, because she's not. She's more. She's my 'mommy,' and everything a mother should be. She is not only my friend, but so much more.
Which is also why I know that she can get through this. I have total and complete faith in her. I may not know exactly what or who I believe in, but I do believe that she is one of the most amazingly special people in the world, and certainly the most amazing in my life.


She taught me how to drive, hell, she taught me how to live; to her I owe my personality, it's mostly hers. And while my driving skills may be a little substandard (sometimes I don't know where those curbs come from) All of my good qualities I owe to her.

Mommy, I love you.

No comments: